The activity module allows you to build an event management plan in a Gantt Chart and apply dependencies to the activities.
There are three choices of Activity Types:
- Project- A Project is a flexible bin that grows and shrinks to encompass all child activities placed in the project.
- Task- A task is a scheduled activity that has duration; ie. Start Date/Time and End Date/Time
- Milestone. A milestone is a task with zero duration. (often used to signify the start, end, or hand off point for a series of projects/tasks)
Once you have multiple items in the Gantt Chart, you can then add dependencies between activities. A dependency is a link between activities that dictates start/end logic of an activity based on a predecessor activity. There are four types of dependencies:
- Finish to Start- An Activity can not start until its predecessor ends, although it can start later.
- Start to Start- An activity can not start until its predecessor starts. although it can start later.
- Finish to Start- The activity can not end before its predecessor ends, although it can end later.
- Start to Finish- The activity can not end before its predecessor starts, although it can end later.
After you have entered activities and the dependency logic, you can view the critical path for your event. The critical path is a mathematical calculation of the longest path of activities stringed together by dependencies that must happen on time to avoid pushing the final end date further out. The critical path activities will appear in red when this option is activated. Closely monitor the progress of the critical path items, ensuring deadlines are not missed, to avoid catastrophes leading into the event dates.